II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Watch Your Back!


I didn't see it coming. I knew the curves in my spine were getting worse with almost every appointment, but I didn't think it would happen to me. Finally, during my sophomore year of high school, on what seemed like my routine Wednesday morning check-up, we heard the words we never imagined we would hear... "You need surgery." My dad was serving in Iraq at the time, so the news hit us a little harder. In the back of my mind, I always knew surgery was a possibility, but I quickly pushed those thoughts aside.

It wasn't an emergency, so life went on as usual. Near the beginning of my junior year, during volleyball season, I began having pain from the back of my head down to my lower back. Heat patches and heating pads became my friends. Despite the pain, I had a great year filled with a ton of memories.

Then came my most memorable year, my senior year. Surgery was finally scheduled for November 17, 2009 (after volleyball season), as it became obvious to my parents and me that it was necessary. I developed breathing problems, which made it more difficult to play volleyball.

So as the time drew closer, people were becoming even more supportive and encouraging. They prayed for me and encouraged me. A couple weeks before the surgery, we had a party with teachers and friends to play some final games of volleyball!

And before I knew it, the day had arrived...

No comments:

Post a Comment