II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Friday, February 4, 2011

Twists and Turns

I've had a few twists and turns, both physically and emotionally, over the years. Every doctor's appointment (which would happen every couple of months) brought very different results. Over time, though, my back was getting worse, and it was becoming noticeable to me.

Physical effects of scoliosis:

Some effects are common to just about every scoliosis patient. The right shoulder blade protrudes, making the shoulders uneven. The hips and ribs become twisted and uneven, as well. When you bend over, a definite hump on the lower, left side of your back becomes obvious, along with one on your upper right side. When sitting back against a chair or wall, only certain parts of the back may touch. Also, the right side of your chest "caves" in. Breathing problems are associated with severe cases of scoliosis. 


At one point I struggled with accepting the way I felt and looked. But finally, I realized that these "twists" and "turns" in my life were not accidents. God specifically chose me to have scoliosis, and that makes me special. Romans 8:28 says that "we know that all things work together for good to them that love God." Psalm 139:14 tells us that we are "fearfully and wonderfully made," and that is an awesome thought! God did not make a mistake when He made me. I am privileged to take what some people think of as bad luck, and use it to praise my wonderful God!

I embrace the way I am now. If I look twisted and uneven, that's who I am! Think about it. Every "normal" person's spine is straight. Mine simply has a creative twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment