II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Oh, the Suspense...

Monday, November 16, 2009:

It was time to say goodbye to all my friends. They were going on a week-long college trip, the same week I was going to have my surgery. So I went to school for half of the day. It felt like I was leaving forever. My one memory from that time seems like yesterday, when my teacher had both a guy and a girl pray for me. I don't really remember all that they said, but I do remember crying through almost the whole thing. But I knew God was in control. And He answered those prayers. After that class, I gave all the final hugs and told my class I would come back over 6 feet tall. I also had to tell my sister (my best friend) goodbye. Because H1N1 was going around at the time, no visitors under 18 years were allowed into the hospital. We stopped by home to grab suitcases when I received a phone call from my former pastor. He encouraged and prayed for me, which I will never forget. And then it was off to Chicago, where my adventure began!



After the three-hour ride, we arrived at Shriners Children's Hospital. I was participating in a case study, so I spent the afternoon in the Gait Lab. After being attached to a bunch of little metal objects, I was monitored for my flexibility and symmetry (or should I say asymmetry). I walked back and forth, leaned side to side, and touched my toes, while the computer picked up the little things they attached to me. Then I was hooked up to a harness to test my balance. That part was like playing Wii Fit. Except if I moved, so did the wall surrounding me or the floor underneath me.

Then it was time for some breathing tests. A huge machine monitored my breathing before and after I used an inhaler. Needless to say, I left there feeling a little dizzy.

That evening, my music pastor came to see me, and then it was time to get ready for the next morning... until I found the hospital's piano, where I spent the rest of the evening.

I thought I would be more nervous than I was. I definitely was nervous, especially since it was my first surgery, but it still amazes me how God gave me such peace that night. I knew that no matter what happened or how I felt, it was going to be all right.

The suspenseful day had quickly come to an end. And the next morning came even faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment