II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Friday, February 11, 2011

Starting Over

After surgery, you basically have no back muscles. So I felt like I was starting over. Things would happen that I had always taken for granted.

For example, I remember the first time I sneezed. If at all possible, do your best to hold it in, because it will feel like your muscles are jerked and twisted. But it doesn't last long. The first time I had the hiccups was interesting, as well.

Also, be very careful the first time you take a shower after surgery. I had quite the exciting time. My mom had to wash my hair, because I couldn't lift my arms up. But I made my mistake before actually getting into the shower. I managed to get a bathing suit on by myself, and without thinking, I checked in the mirror to make sure the straps in the back weren't tangled. Oops. I saw my scar for the first time. And I immediately turned white and had to lie down. It's also a good idea to get a shower stool to sit on, because I definitely couldn't stand that long, and you really don't want to slip and fall. Getting out was the worst part. I was so cold, I was literally shaking uncontrollably, which was horribly painful. But when you lie back down, you feel so much better.

And then there's the flu. Thankfully, I didn't get it until about 2 and a half to 3 months later. But I think I've had the flu about twice in my entire life. I got it about 8 times from February to July. But the first time I got it after surgery was in February after I had gone back to school. It was the day of the high school play. God gave me the grace to get through the play, even though I was sick all that day and for almost the next week. But my point is that you want to make sure you do everything you can to stay healthy while recovering. For one thing, throwing up is really painful, not to mention difficult because you can't bend your back.

There was also the first time going through an airport scanner. Actually, that was my first time ever. But don't worry, I've flown many times since then, and my back doesn't set it off.

Even brushing my teeth was a work-out for my back. You really use your back muscles in almost everything you do!

*First time climbing a rock bigger than me. :D (8 months later)

So it takes time getting used to things again. You feel like you're starting over... learning to sit, walk, stand up, and the list goes on. But it makes you appreciate everything that you used to do without thinking twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment