II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Since then...

Although it is a very extensive surgery, life will go on. I have had some great opportunities and improvements since my spinal fusion.

I was able to play volleyball my first semester of college, which I wasn't expecting to be able to do. And I praise God even more, because He not only allowed me to be well enough to play, but also allowed me to be on the 2nd All-Star team. I felt really bad, because I couldn't react as quickly as usual or dive or anything, and no one knew why. For all they knew, I was just slow and didn't belong on the team. It was frustrating to me at one point, but really, it was amazing that I was on the court period. I also played in the badminton tournament- which was a lot of fun! It was pretty intense. I made it all the way to the championship game, and then lost (and was pretty sore the next day!). So there is hope. You will get better. It just takes time.

I also had my one year doctor's appointment this Christmas break. Everything is looking great! First, I went downstairs to the Gait Lab again for my second visit. (That was where they monitored my movement, flexibility, and balance that I talked about in a previous post.) I could actually enjoy it this time, though, because I knew my surgery was behind me! Then they gave me another breathing test. We found out that my breathing has improved a lot since my surgery, even though I still can't breathe as well as the average person. More x-rays were taken, and my spine looks amazing! I will have one more appointment next year, and my visits to Shriners Children's Hospital will be over.

And the pain from the surgery is almost gone now. Sometimes if I try to move in a way I can't, it will hurt for a second, but that's all. The only issue is with a nerve in my upper back that goes into my neck. I can't carry heavy things or lift something up a certain way without dropping it from the pain. But it will heal, and it's getting there. Unfortunately, I still live with back pain on a daily basis. But it's not from my scoliosis or the surgery. My doctor told me that I have a degenerative disc. So it's nothing that's not fixable.

I can manage to fit into tight spaces to pull a few pranks every now and then, too... (that is, if it's over 18 inches long). My doctor also told me that I can bench press now. Maybe I'll give it a try. 

So don't get caught up in what you can't do. You can always find ways to do things if you really want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment