II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Learn to Laugh

There are certain times in life when you just have to learn to laugh at yourself. My surgery has brought out a few of those moments.

Apparently one day in the hospital I ate a few bites of a pancake. And since I basically had no strength to hold up a fork, my mom fed me. Well, it slipped off the fork and landed on my face. I don't remember it happening, but I do remember telling her that my pillow smelled like syrup. And I couldn't figure out why she was laughing when I told her that.

The other day as I was sitting in class, I dropped my pencil. That wouldn't normally be a problem, except these desks were extremely close together. After about 2 minutes of failed attempts to pick it up, I got out of my chair, squatted down, and reached under my chair, only to find out that I still couldn't reach. So finally, about three others were trying to help me reach my pencil. Then the guy next to me asked me why I don't bend my back. I just had to laugh.

I've had people tell me that when they first met me, they thought I was going to be a snob because of how I sat up so straight. Some have also said they thought I was a model. I thought that was even funnier!

One night during my recovery, my mom wasn't home right away, so my dad made supper. And when you've been recovering in your living room for weeks, you get a little sick of just doing trig homework. So my dad and I made a mashed potato snowman. Recovering makes you creative.
I just recently realized that I have to get off the piano bench to raise or lower it. Because my body is longer now, I can't quite reach the knobs anymore.

People have commented on how I squat down to drink from the drinking fountain, instead of bending over. They really should make those taller... just saying.

You're just going to end up frustrated and embarrassed in life if you don't learn to laugh at yourself every once in a while.

1 comment: