II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Million-Dollar Back

There are a couple places that deserve some recognition.

First of all is Shriners Children's Hospital. I don't think I could have been happier at any other hospital. It doesn't even feel like a hospital. There's no smell, and everything is so full of life. The nurses are the best! They establish a relationship with you, and they remember you. I went back recently after a year, and one asked me how band was going on the clarinet. You can tell that they really love their job, and they care about their patients. My surgeon is one of the best at what he does, and he does it as a volunteer.

The rooms are very nice. There is a cafeteria with kid-friendly food. Right next to it is what they call the "mall." It's a wide open space with plenty of things for kids to do, whether it's wheelchair basketball, video games, coloring, or playing the piano (my personal favorite).

But one of the best things about Shriners is that it doesn't cost you anything. And let me tell you, between x-rays, appointments, anesthetics, surgery, hardware, hospital stay- and so much more that goes into it- that's saving a TON of money! I probably have a million-dollar back. They are supported solely by donations.

That brings the second place to mind: the Ronald McDonald House. Only one parent is allowed to stay with the patient during the night in the hospital. My mom and dad would trade places, one staying with me, while the other went to the Ronald McDonald House. They, too, don't charge you for your stay.

These are wonderful places, and you can help me support them! Save the tabs from your cans of pop. You can either drop them off to the nearest Ronald McDonald House, or if you're here at college with me, I'll take them! (I don't drink pop, so that makes it a little difficult for me.) But it's the least I can do for their service to my family and me.


No comments:

Post a Comment