II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Got Blood?

I really hate blood. And can you imagine someone with hemophobia having extensive surgery? I can't either.

Good news. (And you can take this seriously from me, because I pass out every time I walk into a hospital, get blood drawn, etc.) I had no problem at all when I was in the hospital when it comes to blood and IV's. I usually wasn't conscious enough to realize I had so many tubes and things, and when I did notice, it didn't even faze me. I did have a bad experience the week before when I got blood drawn, though.

And that brings up an important point. Because of the extensiveness of this surgery, you will need blood. You can give it yourself, if it doesn't bother you, and that's actually the best way to do it. Or you could have others do it for you, like I did. But they ended up being able to save my own blood and put it back in me. Your doctor will give you all the instructions you need for giving blood or getting it from someone else.

I had problems with anemia after my surgery when I got home, and it lasted for a few months. I would get really dizzy. When I laid in bed at night, it felt like everything was spinning. Sometimes, I would almost pass out when bending over at the waist. My doctor had me take iron pills, and I no longer experience that.

But don't worry about the blood and IV's and things. You probably won't even notice. All you hemophobics out there, I'm right there with you to tell you that it's going to be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment