II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Just Keep Going

Times will get rough. But you have to keep going. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to set goals and have a positive attitude.

I went back to school about 2 weeks after surgery. They were definitely not full days, or even half days, but one or two hours. And that was more than enough. Many people go back after 6 weeks, which is good. But recovering in my living room day after day was a little too monotonous. After all, I had watched every episode of Charlie Brown and Pink Panther that I owned. Anyway, 2 weeks is a little soon, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. But being around lots of people took my mind off the pain.

One goal for me was to be there for the school's Christmas concert 3 weeks after surgery. And as the high school choir accompanist, I had made up my mind to accompany. We prayed that I would have the strength to do it. So on December 8, 2009, God miraculously allowed me to accompany the choir at the concert. I couldn't play quite as loudly as I usually do because of the pain. But it was worth it. There's not a whole lot that I love doing more than playing for the choir. After the concert, I went home in quite a bit more pain than usual, and immediately laid down, which eased the pain.

I was able to recover more over Christmas break, and by January, I was going back to school for full days. I'm so thankful for compassionate and understanding teachers and principal. I could go lie down any time I needed to during the day.

Near the end of January, I jumped back into cheerleading- very lightly. My coach was so understanding, and she would let me sit on the sidelines when I couldn't stand up any longer. But it kept me active, and I think it's so important to stay active while recovering. You just have to be extremely careful. I really wanted to go back to flying, but that was out of the question. I was also able to get back into the splits in February- that is, until my mom saw it and told me never to do it again, or at least until I had the doctor's approval. So I was back into things full speed, and I just had to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment