II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 4: Up

Friday, November 20, 2009:

My own clothes, and now my own room? It doesn't get much better than that! At first, I had the most adorable little roommate. But my nurses realized that I would need a lot of rest, so I was moved. I only remember that she drew me a picture, and right after I looked at it, I was out again.

That afternoon, it was time to get my hair washed. I would have never guessed how much better that made me feel! It was painful, because they had to lift my head to put my hair in the water. But I'm so thankful that we have ways of doing it while lying down! Something that really helped me when I got home was a little inflatable hair washer with a spray nozzle. It always helps to feel clean.

Then there were visitors! The moms of two of my friends on the college trip came to see me. It really helped pass the time. I even got to go downstairs in my wheelchair to eat in the cafeteria with them. Tip: If you have the choice, choose to have your surgery at a time and place that visitors can come frequently. It really helps. Otherwise, it may end up being the longest week of your life!

That night, my mom and I made at least a couple attempts to watch a movie. Disney's "Up" had recently come out on DVD, so we brought that along. But within a few minutes I was asleep. I think my nurses enjoyed watching it, though!

I was discouraged to find out that the surgery hadn't untwisted my chest. It still caves in on the right side, and my upper back is still uneven. After all, that's what I really wanted fixed. But when I think about it, I have everything I need. I have two good eyes that see, ears that hear, hands and feet that function, a brain that can comprehend... Who cares if I'm twisted? God has blessed me with a body that He designed, one that was meant for me. It's just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment