II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 2: Log Rollin' and Singin' in the Rain

Wednesday, November 18, 2009:

I had absolutely no concept of time that week in the hospital. When I looked at the clock and read 7:30, I was extremely disappointed to find out it was am, not pm. But the day went on, regardless of what time I thought it was.

Today was the day I got to sit up in a chair! I was not thrilled. In fact, I was really nervous. They sat me up, and it was like all my weight shifted and it felt hard to stay upright. Then a problem: how to stand up. I never realized that you use back muscles to stand up. I had to learn to use completely leg muscles. If I tried to use my back, or even flex the muscles a tiny bit, I regretted it. But I was up, and then the nurses helped me sit in a chair padded with tons of pillows. It really felt like an accomplishment. I was making progress, one step at a time.
Most of the swelling had gone down, and that alone made me feel a little better. It's probably a good idea to bring a computer and some music. I tried listening to my iPod, but the extra noise made me feel like I was going to start hyperventilating or something. It also didn't help that I was listening to Singin' in the Rain. Just a little tip: if you bring music, you'll probably want to listen to soft, calming music... but everyone's different. Soon I had had enough, and it was back to the bed.

If you have had this surgery, then you know all about the log roll. In order to keep yourself from getting bed sores, the nurses have to roll you over every 1-2 hours, but because of the pain, I needed it every half an hour. While in bed, I was absolutely stuffed and surrounded by pillows. I would hold on to the railing, while the nurses would pull the pillows out from behind my back, and then they would help me roll over to my other side and quickly stuff the pillows behind me again. I still don't know how I feel about this log comparison. But either way, it got the job done. I couldn't lie on my back for at least a month, so I rolled to the other side. It's unusual for people not to be able to lie on their backs. But my doctor gave me an inward curve of my spine because I had flat back syndrome.

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you always have the nurse's call button before they leave the room! Lesson learned...


No comments:

Post a Comment