II Corinthians 12:9-10

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities... for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
II Corinthians 12:9-10

Friday, November 4, 2011

Thoracic-lumbar-idio-what?

Doctors sometimes have a habit of throwing terms out that we patients are expected to know. Especially at the beginning of your scoliosis journey, this mumbo-jumbo can seem a bit overwhelming at times. Of course, it's very easy to find out now because of the Internet. But since you're on my blog, why not get informed all on one site?

If you haven't figured it out yet, scoliosis is very complex. I've come to realize that even its naming system supports that statement. And guess what? Scoliosis is a broad category with many types fitting into that category. These terms come from the age and cause categories:

Infantile- scoliosis typically developing in children ages 2 months-3 years
Juvenile- scoliosis developing in children around ages 3-9
Adolescent- scoliosis developing in children around ages 10-18
Adult- scoliosis affecting those over 18 years

Idiopathic- scoliosis has no known cause
Congenital- scoliosis results from vertebral malformations or abnormalities
Neuromuscular- scoliosis typically found in children using wheelchairs; a result of neurological system disorders
Hysterical- caused by tilting the body due to abnormal posture, pain, etc.; no curve is present in an x-ray, and straightens out when lying flat
Syndromic- scoliosis that accompanies a disease, usually Marfan's syndrome

I was diagnosed with Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis.

There are also specific areas that are affected by scoliosis.

Cervical- a curve present in the neck
Thoracic- a curve present in the upper 12 vertebrae of the spine
Lumbar- a curve present in the lower 7 vertebrae of the spine

These terms listed here certainly don't cover every aspect of scoliosis, but it's the basic lingo we scoliosis patients might want to familiarize ourselves with. Basically, it will mean much less confusion at your next check-up.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing informative insights about thoracic lumbar.
    Nice sharing and keep posting.

    ReplyDelete